Tuesday, November 25, 2008

March of Dimes 2008 Prematurity Conference

This past Friday, I was invited to Helena to participate in the March of Dimes 2008 Prematurity Conference & Volunteer Leadership Conference. It was an honor to get invited to participate in anything that raises awareness on the issue of prematurity. The conference started out with Dr. Jordan Perlow an OB-GYN from Phoenix who is an expert in pre-term birth talking about if Premature Birth in the United States is preventable. That was a hard talk filled with lots of tears for me to listen to from a personal perspective as I sit here struggling with trying to decide if we should tempt fate and try for another baby when we have been guaranteed another preemie. How can I help fight to end prematurity when I would be knowingly and willingly giving birth to a preemie? So, long story short, after hearing his talk, I had came to realization that I probably wouldn't be having another baby. BUT THEN........I got to speak to him one on one about my case and what I was told by my docs here and he gave me hope that I have a chance of not having a preemie. Will I go to 40 weeks.....NO....but possibly 35 or 36 weeks which is 4 more weeks than I made it with Karlee.

**Me, Tana, Amity & LaShay**

After the conference, we had the Volunteer Leadership Dinner and Awards. This past year when Karlee & I participated in the March for Babies, we walked as part of the team Montana Mamas and with a very dear friend of mine, LaShay who was blessed with a beautiful daughter, Chezni born at 26 weeks. Unfortunately God needed Chezni and after 2 months, took her home. Well LaShay, LaShay's mom, and Amity (founder of Montana Mamas) attended the conference and dinner with me and we were all given an award for being one of the top fundraisers for the walk. It was a great to know that the money we worked so hard to raise will be going to great research to help give all babies a healthy start at life. We are very inspired to work even harder this next year and raise even more money for the babies that need our help. Someone worked hard years ago and that work helped to save Karlee's life and I owe it to give back. Needless to say, when the invite to the conference went out, they should have said in big letters to bring tissues as I shed a lot of tears of joy, sadness, thankfullness, pain....it was just an emotional day!!

Give all your babies, no matter how old, a big hug and kiss and be THANKFUL and CHERISH every moment with them!!

2 comments:

OUR WILD ZOO! said...

You should have told ME I'd need tissue to read your post, Kandis! I am so inspired by you and SO PROUD of you for stepping up in this and leading in this cause-WOW! And I think that's great the Dr. there gave you hope in carrying a baby to further term. Like I have said before, I know that anything is possible- it's always hopeful to hear an expert in the field give advice and recommendation though. You are such an incredible mom, Kandis. So dedicated and determined to give Karlee the very best life-look how blessed she has been! On this Thanksgiving I want to let you know I'm very thankful for your friendship and reconnecting with you! Hope you have a great turkey day filled with GOOD FOOD and GREAT LAUGHS!

Anonymous said...

Thank God I bought 2 boxes of tissues the other day. I'm glad to hear your conference was inspiring in more ways than one. I hope you guys have a blast on black Friday.
xxoo

Dustin