Sunday, September 14, 2008

On the Move

On Saturday, Karlee & I along with some of my family members participated in the 2008 Alzheimer's Association Memory Walk in honor of my Grandpa Everett Knipp who is suffering horribly from the disease and in memory of my Grandma Bertha Koenig who suffered from it before her passing.

Alzheimer's is a horrible diesase that has had a huge impact on my family. Grandpa had a bad episode at the end of March and has not been the same. We all knew that Alzheimers had already started with Grandpa before March as he would forget things and would get confused often. Although all this was happening, Grandpa still had his sense of humor, smile and his willingness to always help one of us grandkids or his kids. Grandpa also did all of the yard work and snow removal and most of all the driving in town and short out of town trips. Things are very different in just 6 short months. Grandpa cannot walk very well as he has a slow shuffle, he is very weak and shaky and so he needs help going up and down stairs. Grandpa does not talk very much anymore and you can tell he is struggling to put words together. He cannot remember much of anything, but does still remember who we all are, but I am sure that will be going soon. Grandpa hardly ever smiles; he has totally lost all of his great personality. It is very hard to see him struggle with this terrible disease and it is very hard to see the toll it has taken on my Grandmother, as she helps him all that she can.

I know that all we can do for my Grandpa now is support him and my Grandma but hopefully we can make a difference for the other generations of my family and other families by finding a cure. I don't want to have to worry about Karlee being inflected with this horrible disease.

Here are a few photos from the walk where the Knipp Krew team won an award for the most money earned for a team!! It was quite an honor to know that we will be making a differenceL-R: Karlee, Myself, Renee (My Uncle Jeff's Daughter), Rachel (Karen's Daughter), Aunt Karen
**Click on the pictures to view it larger**


My Grandpa in June of this year--The one thing I will always remember about my Grandpa no matter what is his smile!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kandis the pictures turned out really good...I am glad you told me about the walk...It was fun...I just hope that in time things will change for this disease...It is so sad to see people go through it...It is hard as well for the people that take care of them..

OUR WILD ZOO! said...

Kandis, that was an amazing post. I had no idea your Grandpa was struggling with this. I too have memories of YOUR Grandparents from childhood especially...they both were always so friendly and helpful and SMILING! What a great dent you and the other walkers are making against this awful disease. I know each and every contribution makes a difference. I'm so proud of you!